Out of old, largely unknown and worm corroded folios the chronicler brought to light what nobody had in mind anymore: A long time ago, in Büdingen the viniculture bloomed! There was probably many a good wine, maybe “Büdinger Eichelsköpfchen” and if you go back some more years also “Sankt Remigius Kirchenstück”. Because when the church arised here, the viniculture came here, too, blossomed and spread out to the area of the church.
So it was all right with the farmers that they had to give a tenth of the beverage to the barional family of Ysenburg. The earls found less attraction, because they preferred vine from Franconia, from the Rhine and the Moselle. What happened to the “Büdinger” – there was unfortunately plenty of it – is written in the archive in the so called “Heckenbrief”. Already at 1423, Diether from Ysenburg was a clever person as he made the following decision: “The »Büdinger« shall only be drunken by Büdingen! By autumn to the fast only pour out vine which blooms here! No drip of vine from abroad must enter the town!”
This is how the earl plotted it out. And after the farmer vine was drunken after half a year, the “tenth vine” from the castle came to the bars. At the “Schwan”, the “Krone” and the “Stern” the vine was mortised and so the juice of the grape stayed a privilege of the citizenry. “Even if he’s harsh and unpopular, one takes the vine how god gives it!”.
It was about the turn of the century when the viniculture ended. Fruits were cultivated and drank just like the Frankfurter ideal “Äppelwoi”.